What I'm Up To...

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

American Idol sucks...surprised?

So I read the following on a message board this afternoon, and I can't say I'm surprised:

So I was a contestant this year at the Phoneix audition and Im going to tell you whats wrong with this show.

Some of my buddies pushed me to go (even though I knew nothing about the show) to the Phoenix audiotion because it was so close to my house.

Day 1- I went and waited in line for a wristband for about 3 hours and I almost said **** it right there, but I figured if I already had waited in line, might as well. They gave us 2 songs to learn and the rules for audiotioning. Afterwards I went to the food court of the stadium it was held at and I found a dueling piano bar that was having their out Shout House! Idol contest. I entered for practice to see if I had a chance. I had to sing in front of a bunch of strangers with 20 other contestants and I sang Jason Mraz- Curbside prophet. I won the whole thing and won $500 and a tshirt. Good start :) I might have a chance at this thing.

I then had to wait about a week for the actual audtion at the stadium.

Day 2 - A week later I went to the stadium at about 5am with some friends and we waited in line for about 4 hours and finally got into our seats in the stadium. They call you by section and while you wait for your section to be called, they film about 100 takes of everybody signing the designated songs as a crowd. When you section is called you go down to the floor and they branch you off into mini groups of 4 to go in front of judges that work on the FOX staff. You get about 30 seconds and they tell you if you proceed. Only about 150 people made it through this process I believe. I was one of them. Golden ticket- wow!? Is this happening??
You are then taken into the "win room" where they take your picture and you have to fill out a huge packet full of disclamers and background check stuff. They pulled me and another girl out of the room and we had to go back into the audience and pretend like we had just won and freak out for the camera. It was pretty cool having FOX's camera crew follow us around the stadium in front of everybody- made me feel like a bad ass haha.

They then give you one one two days in about 2 weeks for your next audition. I was chosen for the first day of the 2, and it was held at the W in Scottsdale. I wasnt allowed to tell anybody when and where it was, so I had to call in to work :P

Day 3- After alot of practicing and getting my act together, I thought this was the day I go in front of the MAIN judges. Nope. We had to go into another room and wait in line. The first line, they put you in front of a camera to make sure you look good enough on film, and then you sing in front of another set of regular people that work for FOX. I got past this round too. Alot of people didnt. Then, you wait in line AGAIN to go in fornt of more judges. These were the big boys. They film you in front of the same backdrop they use with Randy, Simon and them so that they can take from both takes for the show. I brought my family with me so they were waiting outside the door. You walk in the room and you are in front of a bunch of music professionals and Nigel, the producer of the show. I sang my heart out and did awesome. Here are his exact words.. "you have an incredible look and you can definately sing. Unfortunately we are only allowed to bring a limited number of "rock guys" due to the winner last year, and we have filled up the slots. Try out at an earlier city next year and you will have a great shot. We will see you next year." WHAT!!???? I was really confused. What a freakin joke! I couldnt even say anything cause I was shocked as hell. This show is not a talent contest whatsoever! I walked out the door and I didnt have a ticket and my family thought I was hiding it somewhere. I told them FOX already had enough "rock guys" in front of the camera (of course they will never show that) and they were pissed. I did an amazing job.

So, the good thing was I learned alot about how fucked up this show is and I know I will never waste my time trying out again. from what I have heared from some of my buddies I met who made it, things are really rough when you get to Hollywood. They only pay for your trip there and your room. You have to find out how to pay for the rest, and your trip home when you are cut. and ALOT of drama at the hotel.

all in all, it was a grat learning experience and I know that the remaining contestants are terrible for the most part. No good guys left, and a couple young girls that are amazing. I would still be on the show if Nigel hadnt filled up his character roster before Phoenix.

Questions and Comments are more than welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment