What I'm Up To...

Friday, March 27, 2009

Recommendation of the Day #24

Recommendation of the Day: Coheed & Cambria

I picked the new Coheed & Cambria Neverender: Children of the Fence live DVD tonight after work. Four albums into their career, the band recently performed their entire discography from front to back over 4 nights at NYC's Terminal 5 and released an awesome hi-def DVD of it. Over 300 minutes of prog-rock goodness, and one of the best live music DVDs I've ever seen.

One thing I love about the music business these days is the choice that fans have when it comes to purchasing their music. For most new releases, there's usually a sub-$10 version at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, iTunes, etc. with all the basics, then there's the "premium" version for 15 or 16 bucks that has more content in the form of demos, music videos, interviews, extra tracks, and also nicer packaging. If you're lucky, Amazon MP3 will offer the new release in one of their MP3 daily deals for less than 5 bucks.

As I've said in the past, I'm someone who is willing to pay more for a premium product, because for me, unless I can get an amazing deal online, I like having the full package. Thus, I'm almost always wanting to pay for the nicer edition. In the past, nobody had any choice but to pay 20 bucks for the basic bare-bones CD + liner note combo. Coheed & Cambria, for their last album, even had the option for fans to buy the full CD in a basic cardboard sleeve for $6. For fans who wanted the physical CD, but didn't want the excess packaging, it was cool to have a cheaper alternative.

Ok, back to watching basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment