What I'm Up To...

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Recommendation of the Day - #2

It should come as no surprise that, only a day and a half in, I'm already slacking on my daily posting requirements. I'm notoriously bad about updating this blog, and for that, I apologize.

Recommendation of the Day: The Fray



When The Fray released their debut album, How To Save A Life, in 2005, I was positive they'd become another one-hit wonder. "Over My Head" was a big song, and they managed to eek out another hit with "How To Save a Life", but I was pretty sure they'd never release another successful album. After all, I didn't find their sound to be all that exciting, and they reminded me a lot of the alt-rock bands that dominated the late-90s scene and were never heard from again.

After I heard their new single "You Found Me" in the chill-inducing preview of the new season of Lost, I knew I was wrong. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but something about The Fray's music makes everything seem ultra-dramatized and important, in a good way. One thing that's always drawn me to music was its ability to take the listener to an emotional state, and I can't think of a band that does this better than The Fray. Even if I'm sitting at my desk doing the most mundane things, the music makes me feel like I'm a movie. In other words, it's perfect trailer music.

Another thing I really dig about this band is that their upcoming self-titled album (out on Tuesday, February 3rd) can be pre-ordered in a premium physical package. For $19.99, you get the CD, an expanded booklet, a bonus DVD, and a set of collectible 4 postcards, all in a limited edition slipcase. In an era where almost everyone downloads music, illegally and not, I think it's refreshing to see bands taking the time and energy in designing a really special packaging for their fans. For the people that just want the files, I'm sure AmazonMP3 and iTunes will have sub-$10 versions, but I'm someone who has no problem dropping some extra coin for a nice tangible product, something I can't download.

Finally, I'm a sucker for piano rock...

No comments:

Post a Comment