What I'm Up To...

Friday, January 16, 2009

Girl Talk

I don't really like hip-hop and dance music. Never have. It's not that I think it's inferior or lower on the music totem pole than the other rock-oriented music I usually listen to, It's just not my thing. Even the more alternative "socially conscious" rap (Astronautalis, Atmosphere, P.O.S) doesn't do it for me. That being said, I finally just started listening to Girl Talk and am totally kicking myself for not doing so earlier. I know, I know, I know, I'm way late to the party on this, and anyone who has been on the Girl Talk train for awhile will surely be shaking his/her hipster finger at me, but I can't remember the last time that listening to an album has given me such an unabashed schoolboy grin. I can't to hear what he comes up with next.

It's hip-hop, it's rock, it's pop, it's electronic, it's dance, it's everything in between. Pittsburgh DJ Gregg Gillis has masterfully taken snippets of hundreds of songs and mixed them together for a wholly unique music experience. Anyone who can mash up Ace of Base, Jackson 5, Outkast, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Temple of the Dog, and The Police is the span of 2-3 songs is a-ok in my book. Last year, he pulled a Radiohead and posted his newest album, Feed The Animals on his website and allowed fans to pay whatever they wanted for the album, even it was nothing.

Not a single second of his music is original content, but I guarantee it's nothing you've ever heard before. How much is music worth to you?

Girl Talk- Feed The Animals

No comments:

Post a Comment